13-17 February 2024
GLOW 2024 – SOLD OUT!
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS EVENT IS NOW SOLD OUT
‘PLAY IN NATURE’
GLOW light festival is returning to Weston for a third edition to fill the town with light, colour and play featuring spectacular installations and illuminations designed to appeal to all ages. Following its previous sell-out success, GLOW is back bigger and brighter to dazzle Weston-super-Mare.
Over five evenings during the February half-term, from 13 – 17 February 2024, GLOW will showcase some of the UK’s most exciting light artworks alongside new commissions, heart-warming community collaborations and interactive GLOW favourites.
Visitors to GLOW can expect to be enthralled by a trail of light installations, interactive activities, multi-sensory and magical experiences suitable for all the family.
This year, GLOW light festival combines a ticketed light trail in Grove Park alongside a series of installations around the town centre at the Grand Pier, Princess Royal Square and the Italian Gardens that are free for everyone to enjoy.
Entry to GLOW in Grove Park is from 5.30pm to 9pm each night, with the event running until 10pm. Tickets for GLOW in Grove Park are available on a Pay What You Decide basis with a suggested price of £6 (minimum £2) for adults and free for under 16s and carers. Under 14s need to be accompanied by a paying adult.
There will also be delicious local food and drink offerings in Grove Park including hot dogs, crepes and pizza.
GLOW light festival is conceived and designed by Weston-based artist and producer Paula Birtwistle and presented in partnership by Super Culture, Weston-super-Mare Town Council, The Grand Pier and local creative organisation PYTCH.
The event is made possible thanks to funding from Arts Council England and Weston-super-Mare town council and sponsorship from Bristol Water.
Passwords for certain slots
Please note that ONLY the 5:30pm and 5:45pm slots (special relaxed performances reserved for those with accessibility needs) and the 6:50pm slots (for immediate residents of Grove Park who have received a letter to their doors) need a password. ALL other slots DO NOT need a password.
If you have accessibility needs and so require a relaxed performance, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a password
We encourage you to walk, cycle or take public transport to Grove Park, where possible. There are bike racks outside the nearby Spar in the High Street (opposite the Playhouse).
By train: Weston-super-Mare train station is a 15 minute walk from Grove Park. There are regular trains to Bristol and Taunton.
By bus: The bus Interchange on Alexandra Parade is a 10 minute walk from Grove Park and is served by routes 1, 3, 7, 20, 50, 51, 62, 126, A3, X1, X5. For latest timetables visit https://travelwest.info/
By car: We recommend parking in the Sovereign Centre (access via Salisbury Terrace), starting your experience at the Grand Pier and Princess Royal Square then taking in Illumaphonium in the Italian Gardens before walking across to Grove Park. The Sovereign car park is around 500m from Grove Park.
The Sovereign Centre car park will remain open until 11pm each night and has 850 spaces including dedicated parking spaces for the disabled and for parents with young children.
There is also a paying car park at Grove Park with limited space. There are 5 disabled parking bays available. On-street and seafront parking is free after 6pm. Please also note:
– The extra free hour for blue badge holders can be for any bay in the car park
– There are also three marked disabled bays in Grove Lane
– All of the surrounding pay and display bays on-street can be used for free and without limit with a valid blue badge.
Access and Accessibility
We aim to make GLOW an enjoyable and accessible experience for everyone. The festival takes place across different locations. For the main Grove Park site:
– We recommend allowing around 45 minutes to complete the trail. The trail is self-guided so you can do a shortened version.
– We will have dedicated Access Companions onsite to assist those with limited mobility and those who identify as d/deaf or visually impaired. If you would like to book such a Companion please let us know at email@example.com
– There are dedicated time slots at 5:30pm and 5:45pm (Tues-Thurs only) with lower capacity for people with reduced mobility or access needs that mean they might prefer a quieter experience.
– Audio description tours are available on request. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for timings.
– The majority of the event is wheelchair accessible, including all town centre locations. However, due to the terrain in Grove Park, parts of the trail may not be fully accessible.
– There will be accessible toilets available at Grove Park.
– Assistance Dogs are welcome
– There will be seating available in Grove Park.
GLOW is a multi-sensory event – there will be lights, sounds and things to interact with.
During the event itself, our Culture Makers in hi-viz blue vests will be there to assist.
If you would like any further information, or have questions about access, please contact email@example.com